Thursday, February 19, 2009

Kimbap to the Rescue



So this thirty-odd days of fish thing is kind of a pain in the ass.  (What was I thinking?) It's impossible to actually cook every night anymore, much less be creative and then document it all.  Feeling uninspired but famished, I stopped by California Market seeking the answer to my gastrointestinal quandary.  And lo!  I walked away with tasty treats and a re-invigorated enthusiasm for creatures from the sea.  

Besides a spicy octopus shilchae, a jar of pungent kim chi, and a lovely daikon salad, I got a giant and satisfying kimbap.  Kimbap is essentially korean sushi - steamed rice, assorted fish or meats, cooked egg, and pickled veggies all snugly rolled up in laver (or seaweed).  The kimbap I ate is not pictured here because I snarfed it down too quickly, but Just Delicious Meals has a good post on how to make it yourself. 

The lesson here is check out all your local markets when you get bored of eating the same things.  If you're lucky enough to live in a place like LA where you can find a pupusa for breakfast and kimbap for dinner, you'll never, ever be left wanton.


No comments: