Thursday, February 19, 2009

Homemade Cioppino Warms the Cockles


The recent cold weather made me crave a hot and hearty soup so I decided to make a home made cioppino last week that really did warm the cockles of my heart. Comparable to bouillabaisse or bourride, cioppino is apparently a San Francisco original.  Either way, it was awesomely delicious and I look forward to making it again.  Our daily "catch" included cod and mussels, but you can pretty much "ciopp" anything you like up and toss it in.  The secret is to use a combination of fresh tomatoes and canned tomatoes to avoid both watery and dry consistencies.  And sprinkle the chili liberally.  I also added a bit of cayenne to the mix as well.  And a tiny drop of tabasco.  (Okay, three.).  Mine actually tasted as good as the first photo looks!

No comments: