Friday, August 15, 2008

Art in August



This brings us up to August, I believe.  In homage to Creative Intelligence's original Cultural Hookie Day, a friend and I stopped work early today to go check out two different restaurants and two different art openings.  Nothing like a quadruple dose of culture in one night!  (Yup.  Food + wine count as culture in my book.)  After nibbling at both Sila Bistro and Rush Street (which are both sound, but not enough to swoon about), we headed to Royal/T's to the "All of This is Melting" opening in Culver City.  The art world may scoff at Susan Hancock as an "art market rookie" who throws money about without even remembering the names of the pieces she's bought, but if she brings attention to art & artists that people find interesting, how is that bad?  The show was packed so I wasn't the only one who liked the idea of states of change.  But then again, I don't know anything about art.  My favorite piece of the night was the giant blue phallus.  (Just kidding - it was the giant puppy.)  It probably helps that Royal/T is so surreal - part tea house, part gallery, part design shop, part japanime dream sequence.

When we got kicked out, we headed downtown to the LA Art Girls Biennial Fair.  My friend Marjan had a few projects showing, only one of which I caught before someone jacked part of an art installation and the gallery had to shut down early.  I guess everyone thought the junkie running away with the DVD player was performance art.  Fave of the night?  It's a toss up between the abstract yarn web and the very spankable unicorn.  I feel wholly enriched and more cultured now.




No comments: