Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Chocolate Salty Balls, That's Right

Deep thanks to Trader Joe's for teaching me that I was wrong about nuts. When transformed into chocolate salty balls by the right combination of coverings (ie - chocolate and salt), they're pretty damn good. Since being preggers, I tend to get stupid when my blood sugar plunges below a certain level, so to avoid hunger pangs and sudden onsets of stupidity, I've taken to squirreling (pun intended) these delectable nuts in my pockets, handbag, and car.
The sea salt and turbinado almonds are my all-time faves. The salt and sugar are the perfect complement to the part that I like least, which is the nut. Altogether, a scrumptious biteful. They taste good combined with cheese too, so are probably a great addition to a party table.
My other favorite are the chipotle chocolate hazelnuts. Spiced like a mexican hot chocolate, with cocoa and a hint of cinnamon, the flavors mix nicely with the buttery hazelnut. And just when you think it's over, there's little lingering chipotle heat. Nuts that bite. Awesome. These bad boys actually taste great stuck in a fudgy brownie too. I popped them on top of the brownie batter before baking to add a little ta-dah. Even Chef would've been proud of this particular recipe.

No comments: